Filing ITR for the first time? You will need to register on new income tax website – Check details
Individuals filing their income tax return for the first time will first need to first register and make an account on the website. The step is necessary to file ITR on the new IT portal.
In order to register, individuals will need some prerequisites – an active PAN, an active mobile number and an email address. With these details handy, first-time ITR filers can log on to the website and make their account with easy steps.
Check out the step-by-step guide below for first-time filers to register with the new income tax portal.
- Go to the new income tax portal at www.incometax.gov.in
- Click ‘Register’ on the top right-hand corner of the homepage
- In category, select ‘Taxpayer’.
- Next, you will need to input your PAN details for validation. An already registered by inactive PAN will result in an error message from the portal.
- Confirm registration as ‘Individual taxpayer’, and click ‘Continue’ after validation of PAN
- Input basic details like name, date of birth, resident status and gender. Click on ‘Continue’ once all required details are entered.
- Enter your contact details including primary mobile number and email address. Provide details regarding who the primary mobile number and email address belong to.
- Input your communication address.
- Receive one-time passwords (OTPs) on the primary mobile number and email address. Click ‘Continue’.
- Verify all details entered during the registration. Edit and correct any errors in the filing. When verified, click ‘Confirm’.
- Make your password. Re-enter the password.
- Enter your personalized message which will be displayed each time you login on the new income tax portal for security purposes.