How to check if bank account is linked to Aadhaar
The government has made it mandatory for financial institutions, including banks, to verify and link Aadhaar of their customers with their accounts. After the Supreme Court’s order, the deadline to link Aadhaar with bank accounts and other services has been extended indefinetely till it gives final verdict.
Ever since the government’s directive in June 2017, banks have been asking customers to submit their Aadhaar to link the same with their accounts. Providing Aadhaar details is mandatory for opening of new bank accounts. Thus, next time you visit your bank branch for any transaction/purpose which requires interaction with bank officials, they are likely to insist that you first update your Aadhaar in your records linked to your bank account. It might also happen that the bank officials may even ask you to first provide your Aadhaar card or enrolment ID (if you have applied for Aadhaar but have not received it) before allowing you to conduct any kind of transaction.
However, even if you have submitted your Aadhaar details at your branch there is still a possibility that the linkage between the two was not done correctly by the bank or it may be that the bank has not linked Aadhaar with your account because they have misplaced your details.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to check whether your Aadhaar has been linked with your bank account.
1. Visit the Aadhaar website – www.uidai.gov.in
2. Click on ‘Check Aadhaar & Bank Account Linking Status’
3. Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number or 16 digit Virtual ID and security code as shown on the screen. Once submitted, an OTP will be sent to your mobile number registered in the Aadhaar database.
4. Enter the OTP and click on ‘Login’. Remember the OTP received by you is valid for 10 minutes only.
5. On successful login, the website shows whether your Aadhaar number is successfully mapped or not.
You can also check this through your mobile
1. Dial *99*99*1#
2. Enter your 12 digit Aadhaar number
3. Confirm that the digits entered by you is correct
4. On confirmation, it will show you the bank account linked with Aadhaar
1. It will only show you the last bank account that has been linked with your Aadhaar.
2. If you have multiple bank accounts, you will have to check the status of the same with the bank.
3. You will be able to use this service only if your mobile number is linked to your Aadhaar.