Indian Railways concession rules for students, senior citizens, patients, others; 10 points
New Delhi: The Indian Railways offers the facility of concessions on train ticket bookings for students, senior citizens, patients, handicapped, widows of defence personnel, sportsmen, unemployed youths, etc. According to Indian Railways, all the concessional ticket fares are calculated on the basis of the fares of Mail/Express trains. The person is not eligible for concessions if the cost of fare has been borne by government (Central/State), local authority, corporation or public sector undertaking or university. However, the students participating in the tournaments held or recognized by the schools or universities will be eligible for the concession.
Indian Railways train ticket concession rules 2019
1. Concession is only applicable on basic fares, no concession will be provided on reservation charges, superfast charges, etc, while, the concession is admissible on catering charges of Rajdhani/Shatabdi/Jan Shatabdi trains.
2 Concession is applicable on journeys with a minimum distance of 300 km. The distance restriction is waived off for students, patients, war widows, national awardees, senior citizens, allopathic doctors, parents accompanying national awardees, sportsperson, unemployed youths going for job interviews.
3. No passenger is allowed to take two or more concessions, only one type of concession will be granted at a time on the choice of passenger and concessional fares are calculated separately for each person in case of booking concessional train tickets for two or more persons.
4. Concession on train tickets will be granted after production of the requisite documents certifying the person’s eligibility criteria, except for senior citizens.
5. Senior citizens aren’t required age proof at the time of booking the train tickets. However, they are required to carry identity proof during their travel which certifies them as senior citizens such as voter ID card, passport, driving licence, etc.
6. Concessional train tickets can’t be transferred to a higher class even after paying the fare difference. The categories of persons eligible for concession in first class (and not in AC 2-tier) can purchase tickets for AC 2-tier sleeper also on payment of the first class concessional fare plus the difference of actual fares of AC 2-tier sleeper & first class, Indian Railways said.
7. According to www.indianrailways.gov.in, the concession is not admissible in season tickets, circular journey tickets and prestigious trains like Rajdhani Express, Shatabdi Express, etc. which have separate all-inclusive fare structure. Concession is admissible to any one in Garib Rath Express trains unless specified.
8. Concessional train tickets can be booked across the Indian Railways counters, stations, reservations offices, booking offices. A person will not be extended any concession if the person enters the train without a ticket or without proper ticket or extends journey on concession ticket or changes the concession to a higher class, etc. even if the individual is otherwise eligible for it under the rules, Indian Railways said.
9. According to the prescribed guidelines by Indian Railways, break of journey en-route shall not be allowed on a concession ticket for a journey for a specific purpose, i.e., a student travelling to/from an examination centre, a cancer patient travelling to/from a hospital, a professor travelling to/from a conference, etc. Concession is allowed only where a break of journey is a natural event.
10. Passengers breaking their journey are required to have their ticket endorsed from the Station Master where the journey is broken, while, passengers terminating journey en route, must surrender their ticket at the station where the journey is terminated. Refund for the untravelled portion on such train tickets will not be allowed.